Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fiber Fun Day

I had the good fortune yesterday of having a homeschooling family over to my house to learn about making yarn. (Although I took pictures, I don't post pictures of other people's children without their express permission.) I believe the oldest was about fourteen, and the youngest was about eight years old.
When my son was younger, I homeschooled him, so my family has a lot in common with this family. Her four children, like my son, were amazingly well behaved and polite. When they were awaiting their turns at the spinning wheel, they didn't quarrel or tear around my house. So nice.
We started with an overview of the process, and getting to know each other's names. Then we
* washed some raw sheep wool
* carded washed wool with hand cards
* carded washed wool with a drum carder
* spun yarn with drop spindles
* spun yarn with a spinning wheel
* dyed yarn with food colors
All of the children got to do every activity, and we did it all in a single day. Wow.
The best spinner was the youngest, a boy about eight years old. Within a minute he was spinning a perfect, beautiful, fine single yarn. His eldest sister, on the other hand, struggled to make yarn as much as I did when I learned ten years ago. All four of them were genuinely interested in the fiber arts, and genuinely grateful and thankful for the opportunity to learn.
Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment