Thursday, March 4, 2010

Maybe I'll write...

I've been considering changing careers to writer instead of teacher. Say, why not both? I've spoken with some folks at CTU about returning to teaching part-time for them. But I've also been thinking about doing some real research and writing.
Here's what's brewing:
1) For many, many years, I've thought of writing up a book of knitting patterns for boys that boys will actually want to wear. Most patterns I've seen were so "cute" that the boys I have known would not have been caught wearing them past the age of 3.
2) I've noticed that the open requisitions I've seen for software engineers require skills that I don't have, and I know CTU does not cover. Perhaps no college does. I'm going to look into that. At the very least, I should let CTU know they are not preparing their computer science students for the real world. But perhaps other colleges or Wired magazine would be interested as well.
3) My husband thinks I should write technical books that explore certain technical subjects. He thinks if I write The Joy of Oracle or The Joy of Solaris they would be big hits in the system administrator segment of the population. (Yes, we are nerds. Why do you ask?) The only problem with this option is... sigh... those would be a LOT of work, and likely require major investments in hardware and software. Besides, the way Oracle has behaved since taking over Sun, there may not be a market for Solaris books in the future.

But, I have noticed that I have not gotten around to checking out with the Colorado Department of Education how to go about becoming a teacher. So I'm not sure I really want to do it. Besides, we have learned this week that our county (Douglas County Colorado) is facing a tremendous budget shortfall in education, and may lay off many experienced teachers. What a great time to try to enter the industry!

No comments:

Post a Comment