Friday, February 5, 2010

The Importance of Friends

I have been a loner most of my life. I've made a few close friends, but when time or space has separated us, we've just drifted apart. No hard feelings, just too much going on to bother.

For the past two years, (perhaps as I've neared a BIG birthday ending in a "0") I've realized how much friends add to life. It's not just fun to swap stories about who-did-what-at-work or gee-I-have-an-odd-neighbor, it's a part of our psyche. Having a group of people you relate to helps you stay grounded and sane.

It's become even more important to me now that I'm unemployed. Within a few months, I have lost my job, discovered I have to make a big change to my diet, and undergone some uncomfortable medical therapy. That's a lot of change in a short amount of time. I have a wonderful, supportive husband and an understanding son, but....

It's been so good to go to my Friday night knit group, and find that life goes on as usual with my friends. One friend is talking about her husband's foibles, and upcoming vacation plans. Another is talking about her husband's new business, and a bimbo at her office that makes us all look smart and professional. Everyone is knitting, and showing off new yarns and projects. It is comforting, relaxing, and -somehow- centering.

Thanks, guys.

1 comment:

  1. the Friday knit group is group therapy. A few hours of no stress and relaxation. see ya Friday!

    ReplyDelete